What are Spring Allergies?
If you suffer from allergies each spring in Florida, you are likely allergic to tree pollen, also called allergic rhinitis or hay fever. As the temperature rises consistently, plants return to life and begin releasing the offending pollen into the air. When inhaled, the pollen triggers an immune response in certain individuals, who may experience sneezing, coughing, nasal congestion, runny nose, post-nasal drip, itchy eyes, and excessive tearing.
When is Peak Allergy Season in Florida?
Trees can start spreading pollen as early as late December, depending on the weather, and last all the way through the end of May! If you’re an allergy sufferer, that means half of every single year is a battle with your symptoms. Oak trees are the primary offenders in Tampa Bay, but many other tree species pollinate during the spring as well.
How Can I Treat Spring Allergies Now?
If you deal with spring allergies every year, don’t wait to start treatment! There are things you can do right now to make allergy season more bearable, including:
- Schedule an appointment at Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Associates of Tampa Bay for allergy testing and treatment before the worst part of allergy season hits.
- Pay attention to daily pollen counts. The physicians and staff at our office collect pollen for official counts in Tampa (https://pollen.aaaai.org/#/). You can also download an app on your phone to track pollen levels or just tune in to your local news and weather forecast. On days with high pollen counts, try to stay indoors, wear a mask, and be sure to take any allergy medications you are prescribed.
- Change your home’s air filter on a schedule of at least every 3 months, or more often if needed. Bonus points for using an air filter especially designed to filter out common allergens! Most modern thermostats will let you know when your air filter needs to be changed, or just set a reminder on your calendar or phone.
- Start spring cleaning now! There’s no rule that says you have to wait for the official start of spring to clean out the winter dust bunnies, especially here in Florida where the temperature starts warming up so early in the year. We advise waiting for a low pollen count day and wearing a mask during cleaning to prevent exacerbating your symptoms. Pay special attention to areas that accumulate dust and moist areas that are susceptible to mold growth.
- Keep your house closed up. It’s tempting to open your windows when the temperature is nice outside, but this actually just lets in all those allergens that bother you. For maximum symptom relief, keep all doors and windows closed securely throughout the allergy season.
Allergy Treatment in Tampa Bay
If you live in Tampa Bay and suffer from spring allergies, trust the experts at Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Associates of Tampa Bay to provide you with much needed relief. We’ll identify your allergy triggers, develop a plan to keep your symptoms at bay and prescribe the right combination of treatments so you don’t have to live like a hermit all spring. Call us at (813) 971-9743 or request an appointment online today!